Coming Soon...

Surprise!!! Okay, I have no idea ;)

The Cookbook

WIP....Collection of tested dishes with tips, tricks and links of trusted recipes. This my refresher when am stuck with the million dollar 'what to cook?' :)

Recent Posts

The 'Dum' way

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 0 Comments

Back!!! After a looong break, 2 reasons : One, I started redesigning the blog from scratch and I never seem to be convinced with what I have done; Two, we moved back to Chennai after a short term at Eindhoven and it took a while to get back the Internet connection(phew!). Now, speaking of 'Dum', I do not intend to post complete recipes in this blog but just the techniques and tips that am learning from various sources.

For the uninitiated, Dum is a slow-cooking method dating back to a couple of centuries, it is a well known technique in making Biriyani. But nothing stops us from using the same technique for any other flavored rice dish or gravy(like Dum aloo) :-) This technique results in soft, fluffy rice beautifully infused with the rich aroma of the spices. The traditional method uses dough to seal the pot, few others talk of damp towel and aluminium foil. I find using aluminium foil the easiest and mess-free. The below picture shows the technique step by step.


  1. I use yoghurt as the base for Marination. Spice it up according to your taste with ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, kasoori methi, Turmeric powder, Bay leaf and so on. Personally, I find adding Kasoori methi gives it a nice flavour. Leave the marinated veggies for atleast 30 minutes. 
  2. You can half cook rice, the dum will anyway make the rice soft and fluffy.
  3. For the topping, Saffron(infact, i have never used Saffron) can be replaced with food color. In addition, you can also mix turmeric powder in milk and use that to get the restaurant style look with rice grains in white, yellow and orange shades.
  4. When serving, don't mix up too much or you will end up with losing the lovely shades.
I use this technique for making pulaos too, to get the rice aromatic and fluffy but not mushy at the same time. I am sure, i have not done justice with the photo of the final product but I will make it a point to post a better one later :-) 


Filed under Dum Biriyani , Food .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • Tags


    Powered by Blogger Widgets
  • Popular Posts